On My Way

On My Way
To Turkey, To Turkey, to buy a fat pig

Friday, July 16, 2010

Ketçap

Sometimes I look at the influence the U.S. has on the world and I believe all that “City Upon a Hill” stuff. Other times I shake my head sadly and cry myself to sleep because of our detrimental influence in some areas. One such example? Ketchup—the unnaturally red, slightly sweet but at the same time tangy, beacon product of American Food Processing. I’m in Turkey, right? Surrounded by sundry exotic, mouth-wateringly scrumptious delicacies and vitals. But what do you think is the sauce/topping of choice for the kids? Ketchup! What do you think they eat on their noodles? Ketchup! What do you think they eat on their rice? Ketchup! What do you think they eat on their toasted cheese sandwiches? KETCHUP! Okay, okay, so I know when I was like FOUR I went through a BRIEF phase of making my “secret recipe” that consisted of a slice of bread with mayonnaise sandwiched with a slice of bread with ketchup on it, but that didn’t last long...at least not after I realized there was actually a wonderful world of food out there. Goodbye Heinz. Hello Yoshida. Anyway, it makes me sad that we have permanently polluted Mediterranean cuisine. I think I'm going to cry myself to sleep tonight. After I write Al Gore.

2 comments:

  1. don't cry... help them learn more words than ketchup! Maybe give 'em stars in their notebooks for trying something new? As you teach them English, you can teach them a love of trying new things.
    --Brian
    PS - we're enjoying your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My three favorite paragraphs from Wikipedia on "Ketchup":

    "F. & J. Heinz launched their tomato ketchup in 1876. Heinz tomato ketchup was advertised: 'Blessed relief for Mother and the other women in the household!'"

    "Until Heinz, most commercial ketchups appealed to two of the basic tastes: bitterness and saltiness. But the switch to ripe tomatoes and more tomato solids added a stronger umami taste, and the major increase in the concentration of vinegar added sourness and pungency to the range of sensations experienced during its consumption."

    "In October 2000, Heinz introduced colored ketchup products called EZ Squirt, which eventually included green, purple, pink, orange, teal, and blue.[8] These products were made by adding food coloring to the traditional ketchup. As of January 2006[update] these products have been discontinued."

    I wonder why.

    Love you, Heather. Love the blog. Thanks for the birthday music. Please post more pictures of the kids. Zeynep is a cutie.

    -Robbie

    ReplyDelete